Automatic translation of tabular model using Tabular Editor and Excel is possible since the Power BI team gave read/write access to the XMLA endpoint. For the moment, it is a preview feature so be careful using it and work only on copies of your reports.
Automatic translation demonstration
Please watch this 5 mn video for an overview of the translation solution :
Tabular Editor scripts
These are scripts I wrote to save objects from Tabular Editor to a tsv file and to load translations from a tsv file to Tabular Editor. A tsv file is a text file containing data separated by a tab character :
Once the scripts are downloaded, you can load them in Tabular editor this way :
- Save the downloaded scripts in a folder
- Open “Advanced Scripting” tab, then click on the “Open a C# script from a file” and select a downloaded script
- Modify the path in variables below “// Modify files locations”
- Click on “+” button
- Give a name to the custom action and check at least the “Model” checkbox then click “Ok” button
- Click on the “Play” button when you want to execute the script or right click on the “Model” in the tree and select ” Custom actions/your custom action name”
- Redo all these steps each time you get a new version of the scripts !
When you execute the “Save translatable objects” script, translatable objects are exported to a tsv file which is used by the Excel file.
You can get the Excel file in this blog post : https://thebipower.fr/index.php/2020/05/10/automatic-translation-of-visuals-labels/
Tabular Editor is a powerful tool for tabular model edition created by Daniel Otykier : https://tabulareditor.com/
Detailed presentation : https://powerbi.tips/2020/04/tabular-editor-rocks/
Supported languages and countries/regions for Power BI : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions
Watch this video from Ted Pattison which brings many information, tools, tips and ressources. Power BI Dev Camp Session 12 Building Multi Language Reports in Power BI : https://youtu.be/-yK-0P5-J38
Model name and hierarchies levels are not translated for the moment but might be in the future
See also :
Visuals labels translations in Power BI reports : https://thebipower.fr/index.php/2020/05/07/visuals-labels-translations-in-power-bi-reports/
Automatic translation of visuals labels : https://thebipower.fr/index.php/2020/05/10/automatic-translation-of-visuals-labels/